- The foundations of effective business writing are simplicity and accuracy.
- subjects are adequate
- use positive tone
- get to the point quickly and write only what’s relevant
- etiquette is key
- be explicit about your questions and requests
- well-structured and focused presentations and speeches
- engage your audience
- finish with small memorable notes
- use titles that builds anticipation
- Drive people to action with clear plan and reports
- purpose statement
- purpose of the report should be clear and interesting
- Speak to your reader’s desire and concerns
- State what you want and offer your reasoning after the facts
- demonstrate your competence with background information
- grab reader’s attention
- Write a summary in bold
- Edit and format your final product
- cut out anything you think is not essential
- is the order correct
- fact check
- give yourself enough time between drafts, and have another person review
- format for smooth and appealing experience
Month: June 2018
How to: Write documentation
Questions to ask:
- Does the document fulfill its purpose?
- Is anything missing?
- Can anything be taken out?
- What questions will the reader have? And answer them.
- Is the writing easy to understand?
- Sentence and paragraph structure
- Word choice
pluralsight – technical-writing-software-documentation